Sign In

This page doesn't support Internet Explorer.

Informationen über das Studierendenwerk Ulm, wie zum Beispiel über die Mensen, die Studienfinanzierung oder das Wohnen in Ulm. Auf dem Bild zu sehen das Logo des Studierendenwerks Ulm.

Ulm Students' Union (Studierendenwerk)

The first point of call for help with student life

As a partner of the THU, Ulm Students' Union (Studierendenwerk Ulm) aims to create the best possible social conditions to help students be successful in their studies. As a charitable organization, the Students' Union does not aim to make a profit as a matter of principle, and is able to offer services at fair prices, providing optimum value for money.

Please note: you'll find all information on the Ulm Students' Union regulations (mensas, student accommodation, Semesterticket) during the corona pandemic on the special Studierendenwerk website.

Studierendenwerk Ulm

James-Franck-Ring 8

89081 Ulm

Office opening hours:

Monday to Thursday: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm

Friday: 8:00 am – 1:00 pm 

Tel: 0731 50 23810

Fax: 0731 50 23831


facebook at »Studierendenwerk Ulm«

Financing your studies and BAföG 

The Students' Union student finance department is happy to advise you on the various options for financing your course, such as BAföG, the educational loan (Bildungskredit), the KfW student loan (Studienkredit), and provide information on scholarships. The staff there will explain the legal situation to you, help you fill out applications, and explain official letters.

To help you, there is a BAföG Live Chat in October on Wednesdays from 2 pm to 4 pm on the website right (in the yellow chat bubble). 

You can find out more about financing options under Financial assistance for students or directly from the Students' Union


Monday – Thursday 7 am – 3 pm, Friday 7 am – 1 pm

Social advice and support

Students' Psychosocial Support Center (PBS)

The PBS offers THU students advice on personal or study-related problems. In a one-to-one discussion (in German or English), students receive expert advice and help in solving psychosocial problems. The consultations generally take place at the PBS in Ulm (Studierendenwohnhaus C, Upper West Side) but can also be done by phone or video chat. Registration and setting up appointments for the initial conversations (by phone, e-mail or in person) are always via the PBS office in Ulm. You can also make an appointment online.

In urgent cases we can also organize appointments at short notice. We have a duty of confidentiality to our service users. The service is free of charge.

In addition to individual consultations, the PBS also offers courses tailored to the specific needs of students. We can help you strengthen your personal skills to help meet the challenges of studying; for example, with courses covering exam nerves, procrastinating as well as techniques for learning, communication and relaxation. The registration fee for the courses is EUR 10. You can find more information and details of the course program here. An ongoing Coaching Group meets every two weeks. This is free of charge. If you're interested, please arrange an appointment at any time for a brief chat before you come to the meetings.


Tel.: 0731 50 23811 (PBS office, Mon -Fri 8 - 11 am)


Legal advice

In line with its function and responsibilities, the Students' Union (Studierendenwerk) offers students free legal advice, for example, concerning the law on rental agreements.




The Students' Union (Studierendenwerk) runs its own crèche for up to 20 (students') children on the Oberer Eselsberg campus, as well as providing suitable accommodation for single parents.

Children up to the age of 10 can eat for free in the Mensa when accompanied by a parent. You can get a Mensa-Kids-ID from the till at the Mensa.

Student accommodation

The Ulm Students' Union will help you find suitable accommodation. The Students' Union student halls of residence have different locations, layouts, sizes and rental costs. Suitable accommodation is also offered for students with children and for students with disabilities. There is no application deadline or close of applications for student halls of residence. Therefore, we advise you to apply as early as possible in order to get a room in one of the halls of residence. You can find detailed information on the halls of residence in Ulm, as well as the online application form at the Studierendenwerk (Students' Union).

What's more, the Students' Union will also help you in your search for a private flat or a room in a shared house. The housing referral service there is free for both private landlords and those seeking accommodation. You can find out more about living in Ulm under Accommodation and transport or directly from the Students' Union

Food and drink 

Ulm Students' Union operates a total of 6 canteens (Mensa) and 14 cafeterias, seven of which serve food. This is supplemented at all our locations by food and drink dispensing machines.

Every day, the Students' Union supplies the canteens and cafeterias at all three Ulm University of Applied Sciences locations with quickly-served, affordable food. Go to Mensa to find out everything about the different cafeterias and canteens at Ulm University of Applied Sciences, as well as their opening times and menus, or go directly to the 

Students' Union.


The Students' Union (Studierendenwerk) negotiates the Semesterticket with the DING on behalf of students in Ulm.

Accident insurance (covering your free-time, also abroad) is already included in the Students' Union fee. This provides protection for enrolled students during their free time, internships and for examination preparation activities taking place outside the University of Applied Sciences premises.

Insured are:

  • Disability, death and rescue costs
  • Accidents occurring while working in a job or trade (also as a working student) which are covered by the responsible employer's statutory accident insurance association (Berufsgenossenschaft), according to the SGBVII (German law covering accident insurance) – if this work is part of the degree program
  • Students undertaking 1 – 2 semesters in a foreign country;
  • Enrolled students during their foreign semesters or foreign internships as part of the ERASMUS program, for a maximum of 24 months
  • Internships which are not directly associated with your degree are not covered

Reporting a claim:

Please contact the office of the Department for Law, Accommodation and Social issues (Abteilung Recht, Wohnen, Soziales) immediately on 0731 50 23811 (Mon –Fri, 8–11 am)

Location information

Location information PDF (German)